Jan 14, 2015

Homemade Mascara!?


A friend of mine said, "I haven't ever even THOUGHT of making mascara myself." Well, I had - for the last two years - in which I kept wanting to but never getting around to it. I just wanted to try it - why not? And the bonus? This mascara has two of my most favorite ingredients in the world in it: cocoa powder and Lavender Oil!

I first got all of my ingredients together:
Cocoa Powder
Aloe Vera Gel
Vegetable Glycerin
Bentonite Clay Powder
Lavender Oil

It took a little trial and error, but I came up with these amounts:
1/4 tsp cocoa powder
1/4 tsp bentonite clay powder
8 drops glycerin
1/2-2/3 tsp aloe vera gel (The mixture seemed a little thick, so this is where I added extra to get the consistency I like.)
3 drops Youngliving lavender essential oil

After mixing everything together, the hardest part was getting it into my cleaned out mascara tube. I took a popsicle stick, swiped some in, and then tapped it on the counter until that portion went down into the tube. Kind of repetitive. This took longer than anything.

(My two girls loved helping me make this.)

Results:
All in all, I really like this mascara. Every morning I get a kick out of the fact that I'm putting cocoa powder on my eyelashes and I think the lavender smells dreamy.

It's really not as dark as I would like. Next time I will replace some of the cocoa with activated charcoal.

It did have a front end investment - I mean, seriously, how long is that tube of aloe vera gel going to last at 1/2 tsp per batch? I'll be making my own mascara well into my 80s!

I think it stays on just as well as any store bought mascara! Yah!

Wouldn't YOU like to wear cocoa powder on YOUR eyelashes?

1 comment:

  1. A search for aloe uses might surprise you. I wonder if I can used blueberry. I like blue tint in lashes. Thank you for recipe. I was thinking a thick syringe might work to load container.

    ReplyDelete