Jun 17, 2023

5 years to plan a presentation! (and another 7 to post what I wrote)

FOUNDATIONS
One of the main things that sold me on Classical Conversations in the early days was the Presentation Segment. Every week, each child is given an opportunity to give a presentation in front of their peers. We've been involved for 5 years - so this means that my 8 year old has had about 114 opportunities to stand up and speak! Now I have a feeling that most people have not had that many opportunities by the time they are 8.

Why is this so powerful?
1) According to an article in the Washington Post, the number one fear of U.S. citizens is public speaking. PUBLIC SPEAKING. Not terrorism, not global warming, not illegal immigration. PUBLIC SPEAKING. (Followed closely by heights, bugs, & snakes).

2) There are a couple of main ways to influence other people: writing and speaking. (Now I realize, of course, that there is also art and music, but I submit that it is more difficult to get at the main intention of the author through those mediums. Of course, they are both very influential, but in different ways.)

3) We have a message, a good news message, that people desperately need. Our kids (and their parents, too, actually) need to be able to stand and speak - beautiful, persuasive, and true words.

4) Even kids totally freaked out about speaking in front of others are at least not super-uncomfortable at the end of one year. I haven't seen this NOT happen in 5 years! What I mean to say is, every student who has started the year very apprehensive, shy, or scared about presentations has been much more comfortable, even having fun, by the end.

The amazingness of the Presentation Segment has actually backfired! My son is so comfortable giving presentations now that he doesn't even feel the need to prepare. "I'll just wing it, Mom. No problem." He's not even nervous about impromptu speaking? It's crazy.

ESSENTIALS
similarly, in our afternoon writing/grammar/math class, most weeks, each child has a chance to read their paper to the entire class (kids and moms) or a subset of the group. I remember ALMOST DYING in 6th grade when I had to read a book report in front of my class. I did it once. These students 'have' to do it every week, and what's crazy is that they WANT TO! Kids jump at the chance to go first and their peers encourage them when they are done..

It's magical.


I belive it's all about the Community.

Originally written 6/9/16

bibliography:
*https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2014/10/30/clowns-are-twice-as-scary-to-democrats-as-they-are-to-republicans/

No comments:

Post a Comment