Feb 16, 2011

engaging

So, I didn't really come up with any New Year's Resolutions this year. I mean, I thought about it, but really, I never, ever keep them! But, I have been thinking about ways I'd like to change - things I'd like to do more of because they seem good & right.

The main one I've been thinking about is engaging with my kids.

I'm kind of a list person. I can get overwhelmed with all the things I'm responsible for. And then, I make a list. (Not that I do half the things on the list, but it makes me feel better in the short term.) All this to say, that I can get wrapped up in the things to do, and I forget about just being.

In short, I want to just 'be' with my kids more this year.*

Recently, I heard in a sermon about a theologian whose journal mentioned going fishing with his son, and how it was such a waste of time when he could have been working. But the same day, mentioned in the son's journal, was a highpoint of the kid's life! I find that extremely sad. Sad that the dad had no idea how valuable that day actually was. He was too caught up in what he thought needed to be done - rather than the relationship with his boy.

Lord, help me to engage and 'be' with my kids more. They are so amazing and I want to soak up Your glory, displayed in them, every day.

*I'm happy to report that I just got done playing a great round of 'cash regishjer' with my daughter.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:14 PM

    Wow Dee, could've written that one myself! I hear ya! I have written on my bathroom mirror three words... Thankful, Affirming and Engaged! Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful goal. With me, the same. Thanks for story about theologian.

    ReplyDelete